I’ve been designing, building, and maintaining websites for authors, small businesses, and non-profits since 1993. The focus is communication, experience, and customer satisfaction. I translate tech-speak into plain English. I fix sites on which your nephew experimented. I advise on social media and content but only if you need it. If I can’t help, I’ll refer you to someone who can.
I build websites using WordPress, software that is completely free for commercial use, easy to use, accessible to most viewing platforms, and can incorporate advanced functionality. It was designed as a blogging tool but is now a CMS (Content Management System). It’s easy to add and change content on WordPress sites. WordPress also provides good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) right out of the box. Finally, WordPress has a huge user community and is implemented on millions of websites all over the world (currently, about 32% of all websites in the world use WordPress).
Once your site is built, you will be able to add and edit content on your site using only your web browser, including text, photos, videos, and audio files. You will have complete control over who uses the site and their access. If you have an online store, you will be able to modify everything about your products and keep close track of accounting and shipping.
These are a few items you might decide to include on your website:
- Photo, video, and audio galleries
- Contact forms, maps, and polls for keeping in touch with your visitors
- An online store with integrated payment gateways like PayPal, Stripe, or Google Checkout
- Membership logins and secure sections for members only
- Social Media links and feeds for networking with current and potential customers
- Calendars for scheduling and/or to advertise special events and sales
- Testimonials from clients and customers