The number one complaint from readers of self-published books is the lack of professional editing.
As an avid reader, I’ve seen and experienced this time and again. It’s heartbreaking when I know how much time and effort went into the writing. Let’s correct it the first time.
“Edit” can mean many things. The goal is not only to publish a quality work, but also to make the author a better writer. It’s not all about typos, but demands a knowledge of a wide range of facts and life experiences as well as the ability to research.
I offer three basic types of editing, although in most projects these overlap:
Substantive (Structural) Editing — organizing and clarifying content to make the most sense for readers; correcting inconsistencies with dialog, character development, and environment; some rewriting, condensing or expanding without changing the meaning [Usual fee: $0.015 per word]
Copy (Line) Editing — inspecting and correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and usage [Usual fee: $0.010 per word]
Proofreading — final editing before publication; correcting minor errors; checking citations, page numbers, table of contents, page breaks, and running heads [Usual fee: $0.005 per word]
For hourly editing, I invoice to the nearest quarter hour. My standard rate for copyediting and proofreading is $45 per hour, with a minimum of one hour for new clients. After-hours and rush work accrues an extra fee.
How does it work?
- You will fill out a simple survey to tell me about your project.
- I will do a sample edit of five pages of your manuscript in Word using the Track Changes feature so you can see how I work and whether we are compatible.
- I will send you a quote for the project with the scope of the work included.
- If you agree to the quote, I will send you my Terms of Service and an invoice for the first half of the project fee.
- I will keep you informed of my progress and we will communicate throughout the project. We will agree on milestones to discuss the progress and keep on track.
- You will receive the edited manuscript in Word.
- I will perform one revision based on your requirements.
- At the conclusion of the project, I will send you the invoice for the second half of the project fee.
Genres: I am fairly well read and open to most genres of fiction and nonfiction, but I do not work on erotica or horror manuscripts.